Start a new topic
Not Taken

Multiple notes per item

I'm using PaperShip iPad with Zotero.

It seems that I can only edit one note for each item, even if a library item has many notes.

Please include the feature to access several notes for each library item.

Thanks!

J

9 people like this idea

You’re right, PaperShip only manage one note by item/document. 

We understand your request, but we believe that having multiple notes has too many drawbacks, as it gets significantly more complicated to manage this list (display, add, remove, order, etc). We hope that such decisions help to make PaperShip a more enjoyable and more useful reference manager.

This is very unfortunate, since the single note that PaperShip is choosing to include is not the one I need to access! How does PaperShip determine which note to display? It doesn't seem to be the first one listed, or alphabetical. If it is by date of creation or modification, is there any way to have it display the most recent one?

This is a huge drawback to the program, since I have used notes extensively in Zotero (separate notes for different purposes) and now it seems I will not be able to access this most valuable part of my library after all.

1 person likes this

I agree with Cassandra. I am in the same situation. When taking notes while reading a book, for example, I have one note for each chapter. That's the way my Zotero library has grown over the years.

After Vincent's answer, I uninstalled PaperShip because I cannot work on my Zotero Library without this feature. 

Please reconsider implementing this feature.

2 people like this
I agree with the earlier comments. My Zotero library has items to which I've attached multiple notes, in one case over forty. Not being able to read those notes in Papership makes the app unusable for me. I hope you are able to incorporate this feature in a future release.

1 person likes this

This is a severe, disabling problem. If it's not fixed I will have to use a different solution.

1 person likes this

Yes, I understand, but Zotero does not develop its own iOS app.

And ZotPad is not maintained since months, the last update was even more than a year ago.

So if you *really* want this feature, the only option would be to see it in PaperShip.

As most of Zotero users don't manage multiple notes, it's not a core feature for us right now.

Is it really important for you?

If yes, just help us to find grants to develop this feature for a small group of users.

If you can't do that, it's probably not so important for you.

Just remember Zotero got millions of dollars to develop its platform, we didn't get nothing.

And the PaperShip app helps Zotero to compete with other reference managers, no?

Thanks Julian. We certainly appreciate the work you've done on this. I would definitely be willing to pay more for an app that incorporated this feature. 

Actually, ZotPad already has this feature! You can access all of your notes, and it works really well for me with Box. Hooray!

I wish one of the PaperShip developers would have answered my question (posted above months ago) about how PaperShip determines which note to display. There might have been a way to work with it, but not without at least understanding how to manage the available tools. I do understand the challenges of working with limited resources and that seemingly simple features can be actually complicated to implement. But I don't know why you would argue that this feature is not important to users who have just logged in to let you know that it is, or imply that ZotPad doesn't have that feature. I would respectfully suggest that a different fundraising tactic might be more fruitful.

-very happy ZotPad user

I've never said ZotPad does not have this feature, I've said the app is not maintained anymore.

But if ZotPad works well for you, I don't see the point to use another software like PaperShip.

We don't build PaperShip to copy other software, but to provide to Zotero/Mendeley users a different way to manage their bibliography.

Some users do prefer a simpler tool with great UI, focussed on key features: it is the idea we have in mind while working on our app.

Some other users (probably like you) are advanced users, they need advanced features and great softwares like Zotero, ZotPad and Mendeley are perfect for them.

But +3M of scientists use Mendeley, with only one note per document.

It works well for them, and we do believe it's better than several notes per document.

So you're entirely right, if you do prefer ZotPad cause multiple notes are absolutely required for you, just go on using it and support its developer. There is enough scientists with different needs to build several iPad apps, each one more or less fitting specific user need.

Why do you believe one note per document is "better" than unlimited notes per document? Admittedly, it's easier to implement. It's hard for me to imagine why it might be better. I would humbly suggest you support the basic functionality of the references managers with which your program interacts.

1 person likes this

Julian and Vincent,

Papership is brilliant! It is such a fantastic improvement and the fulfillment of a promise for what can be achieved with intelligent design. 

This makes it all the more puzzling that you do not see the fundamental necessity of more than one note per source. Actually, this is the whole point. 

I will not insist on a refund because I respect and admire your excellent work. But I will delete Papership from my iPhone to conserve storage space. 

If Papership ever moves on and adds multiple notes per source to its functionality, I will be back in a heart beat. 

Thank you for your excellent work and Good Luck!

Robert

If money is such a barrier to development, why not charge 99 cents for the basic app? Surely that won't be a big barrier for most users and it will give you funds to continue improvement and keep users happy. Clearly there's a market for a zotero iOS app since the Zotero people aren't making one. PS I agree that if zotero supports multiple notes, then Papership should too instead of telling Zotero users that they're doing it wrong.

1 person likes this

Here is a mediocre workaround: the zotero.org web interface meanwhile allows to add and edit multiple notes per item in the Safari app. 

If you use zotero.org storage to sync your files you can also download your PDFs from your online library.

Given the very responsive support at zotero.org I found it worthwhile to pay for a large storage plan to support their development and hope that their online library interface continues to improve.

I found the responses here not very encouraging and got rid of PaperShip fairly quickly. Nice app, just not for me. 

Best wishes,

Johannes

Gosh! Glad I didn't pay any money for the PDF addon thing - I assumed I had to pay extra to access my Zotero Notes and been searching like mad for them! Thank you for recommending ZotPad - off to install that now and uninstall this Papership thing (which I really liked until I realised the Notes weren't going to work).
Like these other researchers, I use the Zotero Notes feature extensively to both note articles but also to leave myself notes and reminders and progress reports. I have a full system going and NEED the Zotero Notes features - not just one (Why did "Chapter 5" note come up out of 14 Notes for one of my articles? Random and completely unhelpful).  Please get this sorted out and then email me. I'm also happy to pay for Papership if it has full Zotero connection functionality.
Best wishes Annie

Login or Signup to post a comment